Students are permitted to park on school premises as a matter of privilege, not as a right.  Only licensed freshmen students who have a valid and documented school permit have parking privileges at Timberline School.

Students driving cars or other licensed vehicles are permitted to park their vehicles in the student parking area only, which is designated by signage, and can be viewed on a school-provided parking map.  All vehicles should be parked within stall markers (lines); vehicles must have a line on both sides of the car. Parking is not permitted on curbs, bus lanes, fire lanes, driving or drop-off lanes, visitor parking, handicapped parking, staff areas, walkways, sidewalks, medians, on grass, on snow piles (in winter) or in driveway areas. Parking in these areas may result in the loss of on-campus parking privileges. The District reserves the right to tow a parked vehicle when it is improperly or illegally parked and poses a traffic hazard or an obstruction to the normal movement of traffic or is in violation of said regulations, without prior notification, at the subject’s expense.  Responsibility for finding an authorized parking space rests with the operator. Lack of space in the student parking area is not considered a valid excuse for violation of these regulations.

Timberline School has the authority to deny use of the Timberline School parking facilities to parking violators.  Other limitations may be established by the school.


School Driving Permits

Applications for a minor school license can be picked up at Waukee District Office, 560 SE University Ave., Waukee, IA 50263.

Approval of a school permit does not guarantee a parking spot on school grounds.

StreetSmarts Drivers Education Classes

How do I get a minor school license?

  • Be at least 14 1/2 years old.
  • Complete an Iowa-approved driver education course (example: StreetSmarts).
  • Hold an instruction permit and a clean driving record for at least six consecutive months immediately before applying for your minor school license.
  • Live 1 mile or more from the school you are enrolled in, unless a special need exists. If you have more than one residence, where you live in the location you reside the majority of the time.
  • Bring instruction permit to District Office, 560 SE University Ave, Waukee.
  • If you are a public school student, you must have your school superintendent, principal, or school board chair AND your parent or guardian sign Affidavit for School License (form 430021) available at any driver’s license issuance site or online. If you are a student at an accredited nonpublic school (private school), you must have the authorities in charge of your school AND your parent or guardian sign Affidavit for School License (form 430021).
  • Along with providing your completed Affidavit for School License, you may be required to complete a driving test at the driver’s license issuance site.


What can I do with this license?

This license allows you to drive without adult supervision between the hours of 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. for the following.

  • Drive from your home to your school(s) of enrollment or school-sponsored activities using the most direct and accessible route. Public school students are limited to driving within the school district of enrollment or a contiguous district and accredited nonpublic school students are limited to driving within a 25-mile driving distance. Activities must be at the school(s) you are enrolled in.
  • Drive to a school that is not your school of enrollment to participate in extracurricular activities. Activities must be in a contiguous (bordering) school district for public school students, or not more than 25 miles driving distance for private school students, and must be held at a site, facility, or school designated for the activity under a sharing agreement between schools or conducted at a site or facility that the school you are enrolled in has designated to accommodate extracurricular activities.
  • Drive to and from your home to the closest school bus stop.
  • Stop for fuel while on route or at the closest filling station off route.